Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm No Longer in Bangalore

I have been meaning to post this for the last two weeks, but have been a bit sucked in to life here in New York and New Jersey. It's great to be back but was very hard to leave such a wonderful community of birth advocates and new and expectant moms in Bangalore! I'm still receiving e-mails from women who are interested in having a doula at their birth and/or taking Lamaze classes. Although I don't know of any other Lamaze-certified childbirth educators or doulas in Bangalore, I thought I'd refer those of you who are looking for support to the following links:

* Tehelka piece on alternatives to hospital birth

* Chillibreeze article on how to prepare for childbirth

* Another Chillibreeze article highlighting three expats' experiences giving birth in Bangalore

* Goa Birthing Center

* "Having a Baby? 10 Questions to Ask"

* Here are, in my opinion, the best links:

1. Childbirth Connection (up-to-date evidence-based information and resources on planning for pregnancy, labor and birth, and the postpartum period)
2. International Cesarean Awareness Network
3. Lamaze International
4. La Leche League International (breastfeeding information)

On the right side of this blog you'll find recommended reading and more links. I think in the absence of good quality childbirth classes, you will need to do a lot of research and self-advocacy. It's unfortunate, but hospitals are set up for one kind of birth (quick) and you will need to have a doctor you trust and communicate well with.

After some time traveling in the US, I'm moving to Austin, Texas. I'll still be working as much as I can on the Bangalore Birth Network, which will have a website up in the next few months. If you'd like to know more about the BBN or to become a member, please e-mail bangalorebirth@gmail.com.

I'm still reeling from my experience supporting new parents in Bangalore and setting up the Bangalore Birth Network!