Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Readers Respond to New York Times Article About Doulas

A couple of weeks ago, the New York Times ran this pretty negative article about doulas and lactation consultants. I wanted to post the letters to the editor that were published a week later.

New York Times
March 9, 2008
Letters in Defense of Doulas

To the Editor:

Re "And the Doula Makes Four," by Pamela Paul (Sunday Styles, March 2): I recently gave birth to my son with the assistance of an experienced doula, without an epidural and other interventions that I had hoped to avoid. Your article, in emphasizing negative experiences with doulas who seem to be acting inappropriately and outside their scope, does a disservice to parents. Medical literature has demonstrated that with a qualified doula, a mother is likely to have a shorter labor with fewer complications, including a lower chance of Caesarean section.
Diana Graham, M.D.Raleigh, N.C.

***

To the Editor:

Your article reported that "44 percent of women described the relationship between their hospital nurses and doulas as hostile, resentful and confrontational." In fact, this study - which surveyed a total of nine women from a single hospital in north-central Alabama - found that four women described their nurses as behaving that way. The doulas, on the other hand, were described as "calm," "respectful" and "the best investment I have ever made in my life." In my experience as a doula, the vast majority of nurses welcome doulas' respectful support and nonmedical role. I can only hope doulas will become more widely available so every woman who wants one can have this kind of support during childbirth.
Dorian Solot
Albany
The writer is a birth doula certified by DONA International, a
professional organization that provides training and certification as
well as information for prospective clients.

***

To the Editor:

It seems Americans do more research on car purchases than on medical providers and hospitals. I did my research and had an amazing doula for the birth of my first child. When my second son was born, we had trouble with breast-feeding. A certified lactation consultant saved our breast-feeding relationship. While I am sure there are bad doulas and lactation consultants, I believe the majority are excellent and much needed in our over-medicalized birth environment and pro-formula society.
Corinne Griswold
North Granby, Conn.