Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Some interesting parenting and birthing news


I recently came across two stories that might be of interest. The first is a study out of Wake Forest University that confirms the idea that toddlers learn language from people, not television. For more, click here.

The second is a firsthand account of the first hospital waterbirth in the Philippines. here it is:

Dear Everyone :)

Hello. This is my Waterbirthing Experience. I'm not a very good writer but I hope that I'm able to share my wonderful experience and I hope this will inspire other women to experience waterbirth - that there is another natural way of giving birth.

A lot of my friends and relatives have asked me why I opt to choose waterbirth. And I always answered them that "the water called on me." It's very difficult to explain this feeling. But ever since I got pregnant, I knew that I would be able to successfully give birth through the water. While some women chose waterbirth as pain relief or for gentle birthing. For me, there is this sense of inner of calling. I simply wanted to experience birthing without violence. That's why I prepared a lot for this birth during the whole duration of this pregnancy. I read books, I researched, I psyched myself, I exercised, I had acupuncture sessions… Psychological, physical, spiritual, emotional… etc.

While I gave birth to my daughter, 300,000 women all over the world are also experiencing the same thing. I might just be one of these women who chose to give birth through the use of water. Isn't this a great accomplishment?

Thank you for reading My Waterbirth Experience.

By the way, I saw the news and they said that this is the first ever recorded hospital waterbirth in the Philippines.

Cheers to all the mothers and the soon-to-be-mothers and of course the fathers!!!

Take care,
Velvet, Jonathan Adam, Jehielle and Voegelle Roxas